March Madness

Wikimedia Commons

A CBS TV camera getting in position to record the NCAA Tournament.

Kedric Delaney, Staff Writer

The NCAA tournament will return for this season, but there will be notable changes from the normal format after the 2020 event was canceled during the primary wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The games can be watched live on CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV and can be viewed on the NCAA app. The dates of the tournament are  March 18 for the First Four, the first round on March 19 and March 20 then the second round on March 21 and March 22. On March 27 and March 28, the Sweet 16 will be on live TV, then the Elite Eight will be on March 29 and March 30. The Final Four will be on April 3, and finally the NCAA championship game on April 5.

Although March Madness seems to be back to normal, there are some changes to the original style. For example, there will be no fans attending the games, and the National Championship will be on Monday, April 5. Also, according to the NCAA, the top four seeds, the team’s ranking based on games won and lost, will be handled the same and so will the First Four. The First Four is the four teams that were not selected to compete in the NCAA tournament. The NCAA stated, “The changes will come in how the rest of the bracket is completed. Teams will be placed in the bracket based on rankings without the usual considerations for geography.”

The history of March Madness dates back to 1939 when the first NCAA tournament was held. In the end, the Oregon Ducks beat Ohio State to win the first NCAA national title. In reference to the term basketball, March Madness was used by Henry V. Porter, a high school official. Then the NCAA found out about the term by Brent Musburger, CBS broadcaster, and the term has been linked with the NCAA ever since. There have been 80 NCAA competitions since 1939, and there are five schools that have the majority of them. Kentucky has the most NCAA competition appearances with 57, and trailing them is North Carolina with 49.

All in all, March Madness is the NCAA’s basketball tournament where teams face off for the trophy and title of National Champions. But mainly the games are a time to spend with family and friends. Stay safe eagles!