Meet Xenobot: The First Living Robot

Source: Wayne Large

Xenobots are made from frog cells.

Nathan Yee, Staff Writer and Copy Editor

Xenobots, named after Xenopus Laevis, are the first living robots created by mankind. The classification of these intricate pieces of technology is somewhat gray and is not fully known by the scientists who helped design them.

Created from the cells of African Clawed Frogs, xenobots can accomplish minor microscopic movements all while at the same time preventing pollution and environmental issues. Currently, xenobots are only able to move around Petri dishes and regenerate themselves, however, many scientists are trying to harness these bots to accomplish tasks such as delivering drugs and collecting environmental contaminants. 

In addition, scientists have also discovered and shared that xenobots are extremely adaptable and autonomous. Josh Bongard from the University of Vermont states, “We tell the algorithm what we want xenobot to do, but we don´t tell how the xenobot should do it.” 

An eighth-grade student at McAuliffe, Gavin Ordinario, states, “I think that the xenobots are very helpful and could help us one day in terms of medical research.”

A sixth-grade student at McAuliffe, Abigail Yee, also goes on to state, “The robots seem to be very useful and interesting.” 

Despite the many positive outlooks and opinions on these pieces of technology, it is still quite evident that xenobots have a long way to go, especially in the clinical and medical fields that we foresee them going into.