Get to Know Mr. Robinson!

Source: Serenity Powell

Mr. Robinson smiling at McAuliffe Middle School.

Serenity Powell, Staff Writer

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: I like to do a lot of outdoor activities. I like to hike, run triathlons and marathons, and a bunch of different running events.

Q: What kind of athletic competitions have you done and how many?

A: I [played] a lot of team sports when I was younger, and then I got into running triathlons. I’ve done a bunch of triathlon events ever since I was about 10 years old, and about two years ago I ran an Ironman.

Q: What is your fastest mile time?

A: My fastest mile time was around 5:18-20.

Q: What do you enjoy about your time here at McAuliffe Middle School as a PE teacher?

A: I love being around students because they are very well behaved, they are smart, respectful, polite, and they work hard. Also, I love being outdoors!

Q: What type of workout routines do you use and would you recommend these to your students?

A: I like a variety. I think it’s important to be involved in a variety of different athletic events or fitness programs. I like to do CrossFit every once in awhile, some resistance training or weight lifting, some running or bicycling, and proper nutrition would help affect your body and muscles.

Q: What were your other jobs before you applied to McAuliffe Middle School?

A: My first job was a paperboy, I worked at a grocery store, KFC when I was in high school, and then in college I worked at UPS for about five years. Then, I got into the Boys and Girls Club, and that’s when I became a PE teacher.

Q: Have you read The Birdwatch?

A: Yes.

Q: If so, what do you like about it?

A: I like how you have a variety of different articles.

Q: What’s been one of your hardest competitions?

A: One of my hardest competitions is ether the Ironman or the JMT, the John Muir Trail. It starts in Yosemite and ends in Mt. Whitney, and that took 20 days.

Q: How old were you when you started to enjoy exercising?

A: I was very young. I started to enjoy exercising when I was around 4 years old on a soccer team. I started by watching ESPN a lot and then I got into a lot of different team sports. 

Q: Where would you like to go on your next vacation?

A: I would like to go to Australia because I’ve never been there before.

Q: What type of places have you traveled to?

A: I’ve been to England, Europe, Switzerland, Greece, Italy, the Royal Cup in Brazil, South America, and Ireland.

Q: How long have you worked for McAuliffe Middle School and is it different than when you first started?

A: I’ve been teaching here for 15 years. Everything is pretty much the same. The staff and the students are kind of the same. Not much is different.

Q: Who inspired you as a young athlete?

A: My grandfather and my PE teacher from middle school, Mr. Strole.

Q: What type of sports do you play?

A: I don’t play that many right now, but while growing up I’ve played soccer, baseball, basketball, football, ping pong, table tennis, golf, ultimate frisbee…a bunch of team sports, and pretty much anything.

Q: What college did you go to?

A: I went to Grand Canyon University. That’s where I got my undergrad, my bachelor’s degree.

Q: What is your favorite exercise?

A: I like to do sit ups or curl ups because I think that your core is really important.

Q: What is the best part about competing?

A: The satisfaction of knowing you’re trying your best…you’re pushing yourself to do your best.