Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

Jasmine Lee, Staff Writer

On September 14, multiple drones and missiles attacked Saudi Arabia’s oil factory and an oil field. This attack greatly impacted oil production. It increased gas prices and declined oil production. The drones attacked Hijra Khurais, one of Saudi Arabia’s largest oil factories, and Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia’s biggest crude oil stabilization factory. This tragedy destroyed 5.7 million barrels of crude oil.

Yemen’s Houthi rebels claim responsibility for the attacks. They say that they sent 10 drones to Saudi Arabia, which were targeted at destroying the oil factories, although authorities have reasons to doubt them. Multiple countries, including the U.S. and the U.K, blame Iran, although Iran declines any accusations. These accusations are caused because the weapons bear a similar resemblance to Iranian weapons. 

“My thoughts are Saudi Arabia is corrupt and I don’t like the idea of arming them,” says Ms. Neufeld, a seventh-grade science teacher.

Shutting down the Saudi Arabian oil factories for even just a couple of days can decline oil production and increase gas prices. Hopefully, the facilities will recover and the gas prices will subside. 

“The best view comes after the hardest climb,” says Chantee Nguyen, a 7th-grade student attending McAuliffe Middle School. What Nguyen means is that now the worst has passed, the best is bound to come.