Discipline at McAuliffe

Ms.+Wood+explaining+demerits+in+the+McAuliffe+office.+

Source: Daniel Padilla

Ms. Wood explaining demerits in the McAuliffe office.

Daniel Padilla, Staff Writer

Discipline is one of the most important factors of success at McAuliffe Middle School. It can affect our citizenship grades and indirectly affect our academic grades. So, the question for every McAuliffe Eagle is: how can we be our best self and show our teachers that we are capable of being responsible students?

One tip is to be honest and own up to our mistakes. Being honest will not only make you feel better, but it will show everyone that you are someone they can trust. According to Lifehacks.org, “Trust starts with truth and ends with truth.”

The next tip is if you have the opportunity to eat breakfast, eat it! It could change your day drastically by helping you focus and preventing you from becoming irritable. WebMD.com states, “Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school.’’ According to TasteofHome.com, the top foods you should eat to wake you up are eggs, oatmeal, apples, dark chocolate, spinach, and nuts. Students should also drink plenty of water.

Now, let’s consider the consequences if you don’t follow the rules. At McAuliffe, students generally hear teachers say that consequences are in place for the sake of learning from our mistakes, so next time, we think again. Consequences are given in the form of study halls and detentions for minor violations while suspension or expulsion can be given for more severe infractions.

Mrs. Wood added, “One demerit [is given] for one detention. If you get 10 demerits, you do not get to participate in a lot of fun activities, such as lunch, dances, Field Day, intramurals, and other school events.’’ 

Finally, let’s consider how the rules get made. McAuliffe has a system of tiers. It starts off with a staff member’s idea to improve the school. Then, it will go to the administration where they will think it over and decide if the rule will benefit the school or not. These tiers are important because these decisions could change the daily life of students. Tyler Smith, a McAuliffe student, stated, ‘’I think that this system is very helpful to this school and the students.’’

As McAuliffe Eagles, let’s continue to try to be better individuals and improve our minds.