Shuddersome: Tales of Poe

Mrs. Armstrong, McAuliffe drama teacher

Josh Hindman, Tark McGrath, Lauren Gardiner, Riley Robinson, Caenan Salg and Daniel Hernandez rehearsing their play.

Dana Kim, Editor-in-Chief and Staff Writer

Advanced Drama is presenting their “Shuddersome: Tales of Poe” on the 23rd and 24th of October. Soon enough, the Little Theater will be filled with tragedy, suspense and a glimmer of humor. Join the cast into a series of stories and poems!

McAuliffe’s talented cast will be performing a total of four shows. On the 23rd, they have shows at 3 and 7p.m. The next day, they will be presenting at 4 and 7p.m. If you are interested in watching, order your tickets online for only five dollars from bit.ly/MMSdrama. Seating is limited, so buy one as soon as possible!

You can expect five phenomenally written stories by Edgar Allen Poeー “The Oval Portrait,” “The Raven,” “Tell-Tale Heart,” “Mask of the Red Death” and “Lionizing.” The first four plays feature more tragic plot lines, while the last one is comical and humorous. 

To prepare for the show, Advanced Drama has been rehearsing and practicing for the past six weeks. Students are split into groups based on which story they are playing a role in. Once a week, each group works with Mrs. Armstrong. She helps the students by giving them advice and helpful comments.

Since the show has mostly tragic and devastating stories, the cast has been learning to “be the role.” Mrs. Armstrong shared, “The best that [actors] can do is just try to imagine like ‘if this happened me’ or ‘if I was in this position, what would I do?’” 

Eben O’Brien, the president of the Junior Thespians and a student in Advanced Drama stated, “I’ve been using this as a chance to watch Halloween movies.” Watching movies or videos that show similar moods or scenarios allows actors to step into the role and relate closely to their characters.

Advanced Drama has been working hard to present an exceptional show. If you want to experience these stories for yourself and have an unforgettable time, come watch the show. Tickets are on sale now! Watch your friends, siblings and future actors on their journey into “Shuddersome: Tales of Poe.”